What is the Extended Essay?
- This is one of the three-part DP core curriculum.
- It must be no more than 4,000 words.
- Students must pass to receive the DP diploma.
- Focus on critical thinking – this is not a research paper.
- Essays may be written in any DP subject, or a student may do a world studies essay, which allows them to combine two subject areas under the umbrella of a global issue.
What is expected of the student?
- About 40 hours of work.
- Keep track of and honor all deadlines set by the school.
- Use a reflection space (like a journal).
- This is your chance to experience independent learning. (Take charge of your own own learning – you are fully responsible for your own success in the essay!)
- You will be meeting with your supervisor regularly (3 formal reflection meetings, 3 check-in meetings) and keeping them up-to-date on your progress.
What is expected of the supervisor?
- Spend 3 – 5 hours total per student.
- There are 3 mandatory reflection sessions (20 – 30 minutes each), and 3 informal check-ins.
- Ensure academic honesty.
- Give feedback on one draft (do not edit). You can give feedback on pieces of the essay before they submit their rough draft to you.
- Give advice and guidance throughout the process.
- Encourage authentic reflection and critical thinking.
- Give a predicted grade for the final essay.